Read the Printed Word!

Most of you have heard by now about the man who flew his plane into an Austin city building. Let me re-cap for you how I found out about it, and then the CRAZY series of events that came after. Back history: I am a journalist for UNT's North Texas Daily newspaper. My editor is Melissa (photographer), Cali is my sister, and Christena is a photographer/videographer. All these people are the key characters in this story.

Cali and I went to pay bills. While she is in the Denton utilities office she hears the news about the crash. She gets in the car and asks, 'did you hear about the plane crash?' To which I say, 'no' and 'did it happen in Denton?'

'No, it was in Austin,' Cali said.
'Man, why doesn't anything ever happen in Denton!' I said.

We get Fuzzy's Tacos when I get a call from my editor, Melissa. 'Did you hear about the plane crash in Autin?' 'Yeah, I just heard.' I replied. 'Do you want to go cover it for the Daily?' she asked. 'Of course! Call Christena! Cal and I will be ready in 30 minutes!'
Now, Austin isn't close to Denton for those of you who aren't familiar with Texas geography. It's about 4 hours away. But we hit traffic, so it was closer to 5. Then entire time we were on the phone trying to make contacts. We kept hearing, 'we can't confirm that the plane was the mans.' Why not!! Oh well! By the time we got there, the sun had set, but smoke was still rising from the building that Joe Stack had flown HIS plane into. We got two good sources, shot pictures, and headed to his house that he burnt down. We knocked on doors, but all the neighbors had already talked to the media who didn't have to drive 350 miles to get there.
We got the story in really late, 11:15 p,m.
Oh, you'll see pictures of a cactus, and me changing pants... I ran into the cactus, and Cali shot pics of me changing my pants in the street!. Nice Cal, nice! We hit up 6th Street in downtown Austin, Kerby Lane Cafe, and were back on the road by 4 a.m. just in time to see our story on the front page of the Daily. Enjoy!















 

1 inksplots:

Sally said...

shea you are so cute putting all this together! and the music! but please don't tell me you're smoking now? that's not so cute. IMPRESSED about the story...you're really doing your dream! yayyyyy!

Post a Comment