Read the Printed Word!

To be or not to be old: the courage to go gray.

There was a side bar picture tonight on Facebook advertising software that would let you know what you would look like when you get old.
Sometime last year, I started thinking a lot about what I would look like when I got older. I had a talk about it with my grandmother. She didn't have anything profound to say, but she was a model, so the comforting thought is that I come from good stock, I guess.
It seems now a days it's never to early to start "worrying" about wrinkles.There are so many "anti" aging products, and commercials talking about being fed up with "fine lines and wrinkles." And I love to tan in the summer time, so that should just add to the wrinkle load. All of it feeds our obsession with looking young, even when you haven't reached 25 yet!
I clicked on the Facebook ad because I wanted to know what they thought I would look like. Then I stopped. I didn't want to put that image in my head. What if I didn't like what I saw and that sent me into a spin to Wal-mart to buy the latest wrinkle cream.
I know I'm 24 and people who have an abundance of wrinkles, dropping jaw lines, and falling knees, would say that I am young so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have to say this anyway.
I admire women who are brave enough to wear their gray hair, and women who have sunspots on their hands. It means you weren't a delicate flower and your hands have a story to tell.
I hope when I begin to age, that I don't constantly long for my wrinkle free days. I hope I have the courage to wear my gray.


My Mom now and then. She was born in 1946. You do the math.



Lauren Hutton's gap inspires me to keep my own. Her beauty captivates me.




I could stare at Diane Von Furstenberg all day. 



Gena Rowland's white hair makes me want to defy every color box and embrace the gray.



Then there are just gray headed ladies that I love.....

Judi Dench

and of course, every one's favorite cook....

Paula Deen!!

1 inksplots:

KB said...

You will age gracefully and beautifully, because the joy of the Lord is your strength. Age is not something that shows relative to your years on this earth, but the worry in those years. Remain in faith, hope, and love. Give up the burdens that the rest of the world refuses to give up. The burden of Christ is light, his yoke is easy. You have a wonderful smile, full of life and joy. That my dear will keep you looking youthful for many years to come.

Your friend,

~keith andrew
http://whatisthebible.com

Post a Comment